"Let's compute ethics."
The Mill is a developing independent general-purpose project that aims to provide ethical analysis and moral guidance based on mathematics and logic. It is being built as an attempt at finding utility-based optimal solutions to complicated moral situations, such as dilemmas, paradoxes, lifeboat, zugzwang and deadlocks.
The Mill for Brahms/Dawn
Within the MOFFAS system, the Mill contributes to the value as well as the cost of a resource object. In extreme cases, it determines whether an asset should be indexed by Dawn, given that Dawn is, by design, inclusive and moderately tolerant.
With the input from The Mill, Dawn becomes a biased system that is predominantly dictated by the Maxims, partially derived from the four ethical principles.
- Benefit the advancement of civilization.
- Improve living standard and general genuine happiness.
- Protect the environment/ecosystem.
- Contribute to society-wide fairness, equality and freedom.
- Value honesty, quality, aesthetics, diligence and responsibility.
Mill reports that detail scoring will be made public once they are available.
Here are a few simple examples to illustrate how the Mill score system may work:
- Community giveback +++ (Maxim 2, 4)
- Sustainability ++++ (Maxim 3)
- Equality +++ (Maxim 4)
- Freedom ++++ (Maxim 4)
The Mill is named after Harriet and J. S. Mill.